Ear Falls History
We owe the town's name to the natives that first inhabited the area. Long before white men settled this area, the English River rapids, which is now the Hydro dam, were the cause of much superstition among the natives. They believed a monster or spirit in the shape of a beaver lived in the rapids. Sometimes when the beaver was swimming its ears broke the surface of the river, frightening any passers-by. The rapids became known by the natives as, Otahwaka Powitek, which translated to English means Ear Falls.
In 1926 freighting in the area hit a high when gold was struck in the Red Lake and Woman Lake areas. Goldpines then became a beehive of activity, but the first step in the development of Ear Falls came in 1928 with the building of the English River dam. The dam itself was constructed to control the amount of water entering the Winnipeg River to help prevent flooding in Northern Manitoba. The first volt of electricity was generated on Christmas day in 1929 from the new Hydro Electric dam, enabling the first gold producing mine to go into production on the shores of Red Lake.
Until the construction of Highway 105, shortly after the Second World War, communications to Ear Falls depended solely on boats and bushplanes. The highway linked the mining district of Red Lake with the Trans-Canada Highway at Vermilion Bay and crossed the mighty English River over the Ear Falls dam.
Ear Falls stayed a cluster of homes and businesses around the highway until, in 1967, the Stelco Mining Company decided to develop the large iron ore deposits on and around Bruce Lake. The townsite grew larger with the increased amount of miners and businesses that the mine brought to the area. A C.N.R. line was laid from Amesdale and a natural gas pipeline was constructed into the Bruce Lake ore body, which became known as the Griffith Mine.
In 1970 Ear Falls was incorporated as a municipality and for several years the local economy revolved around the mining industry. However, the economy changed drastically with the closing of the Griffith Mine in 1986.
Through hard work and innovative leadership Ear Falls has recovered and continues to strengthen the community through projects that included the development of the Ear Falls Waterfront and expansion of the Recreation Centre, the Town Hall and the Golf Course. In September of 1994 the Township of Ear Falls, in cooperation with the Red Lake Board of Education and the Wabauskang Reserve, opened a Native Transition School. However, the most exciting development to come to this small town in recent years was the Weyerhaeuser Sawmill, which officially opened on May 14, 1998.
Although more holiday resorts have been built and logging operations expanded through the years, Ear Falls still has potential for industrial growth. The community wants to ensure that economic development will continue and that it can continue to provide opportunities for its residents. The enjoyment of fishing, hunting, boating, golf and snowmobiling continues to enhance life in the community.
The Chukuni Communities Development Corporation
A Community Futures Development Corporation
137 Howey Street, Box 250, Red Lake, Ontario Canada P0V 2M0
Phone: 807 727-3275 Fax: 807-727-3285 Email List